Q: I'm looking for a simple install guide for 9.2
A: I couldn't answer the question about why SAS 9.2 has different installation documentation, so I enlisted the help of Fred Perry who is a major contributor of content to the Install Center.
How do I find my usual installation documentation?
In SAS 9.2, we introduced the SAS Deployment Wizard to replace the SAS Software Navigator. The SAS Deployment Wizard is a far more robust tool to drive the deployment of your software. Here are some improvements you may notice:
- The SAS Deployment Wizard allows a quiet or silent installation which was difficult to perform with the SAS Software Navigator.
- The SAS Deployment Wizard prompts you for installation and configuration information at the beginning of your deployment, so you provide the information only once and then allow installation to continue unattended.
- The SAS Deployment Wizard also replaces the SAS Configuration Wizard so you have the option to install SAS and run the configuration at the same time or perform them separately.
Instead of one or two generic paths through the deployment tool, the SAS Deployment Wizard supports a path that is tailored for your individual software order. With such a big change in the way SAS software is deployed, the documentation path for SAS 9.2 has also been updated.
Your installation experience begins with a Software Order E-mail that each customer receives. This customized starting point explains exactly what you need to do to install your software. It also includes a list of the other documents you might need and how to find those documents.
- For Windows and UNIX users, your installation path continues with SAS QuickStart Guides. Then you will move through the SAS Deployment Wizard and find targeted explanations in its Help dialogs.
- For z/OS users, your Software Order E-mail directs you to a set of installation instructions specific to your type of deployment.
For deployment on any of these hosts, you will finish with the configuration information available for the products in your software order.
Install Center continues to offer valuable documentation, the same way it did in releases of SAS software prior to SAS 9.2. Your documentation path describes when you need to visit Install Center to retrieve that documentation.
Now that the deployment path is more personalized, you may notice fewer documents in the "Installation Instructions" section of Install Center. That change is part of our effort to produce a less generic, more efficient deployment experience for you. Users have told us that, from the Software Order E-mail to the completion of any configuration steps, deployment of SAS software is faster than ever before. We hope these improvements provide an easier deployment experience for you as well.